Grace Bennett Gasaway
City Court of Hammond
Parish of Tangipahoa
State of Louisiana
303 East Thomas Street
Hammond, LA 70401
206 1/2 E. Thomas St.
Hammond LA 70401
Monday - Friday
8AM-4PM except for holidays
City Court jurisdiction includes all of the 7th Ward from:
- Northern boundary: Wardline Road/ University Drive. (Also includes all incorporated areas of the City of Hammond north of Wardline Road /University Drive)
- Southern boundary: Tangipahoa Parish line south of Manchac.
- Eastern boundary: Tangipahoa River.
- Western Boundary: Livingston Parish line.
The City Court of Hammond
We will be closed January 19th for Martin Luther King holiday as well as February 16th for President's Day and February 17th for Mardi Gras
The City Court is a court of record that processes civil, criminal, traffic, and juvenile matters. It is the goal of the court to provide the citizens of the Seventh Ward with efficient and convenient access to justice.
The City Court Divisions:
City Court presides over cases when a civil lawsuit is filed wherein the damages or amount sued for does not exceed $30,000.00.
City Court presides over limited types of civil cases filed wherein the amount sued for does not exceed $5,000.00 including the following cases:
- Suits on Promissory Notes
- Suits on Open Accounts
- Suits on Negotiable Instruments
The City Court presides over misdemeanor and traffic offenses occuring within the court's jurisdiction.
City Court excercises jurisdiction over the following juvenile cases:
- Child in Need of Care (Abuse and Neglect)
- Delinquency Cases
- Misdemeanor and felony offenses within the court's jurisdiction
- Juvenile Drug Court
- Families in Need of Services (FINS) Hammond and Ponchatoula
- Seventh Ward Assertive Truancy Program (SWAT)
- Court Appointed Mentoring Program (CAMP)
Ancillary Court Services
- Shoplifters Alternative Program